Monday 31 December 2012

Guest blog: Facing and moving on from disappointment

My twin sister, Tai, has had quite the year and she wanted me to share this. Enjoy!


  Not going to lie, 2012 has been one of the toughest years of my life so far. Looking back on it now, getting through Year 12 sure was difficult, but here I am about to enter 2013 and penultimate term of my school life. I survived.

  As the title of this blog suggests, this year hasn’t been without disappointment. I’m not going to go into much detail because I don’t want to dwell on the past, but I had a couple of setbacks. I was really down for a long time and went through an internal depression and sadness. That period made me realise that it is possible to be both ecstatic for the success of your loved ones, yet deeply melancholy at the same time.

  So how did I snap out of it? By making Jeremiah 29:11 my motto and going back to it when things didn’t seem to be going my way.

   Life won’t always go how we expect it to. There will be ups and downs and you will get thrown curveballs that will leave you reeling. Instead of crying about it and feeling sorry for yourself (which I certainly did), look to the future and be comforted by the fact that things happen for a reason. God has our best interests in mind, and much better things in store for us than we could ever dream of, so as the Avril Lavigne song says, keep holding on.

   I don’t know about you, but I’m heading into 2013 with my chin up and looking forward to seeing what God has in store for me. I hope to get into medical school, but if He has something else planned for me, then so be it. This is terribly cliché but goodbye, 2012 and hello, 2013!

 I leave you with this:
Jeremiah 29:11- For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.


No comments:

Post a Comment