Tuesday 1 April 2014

The End of Hilary Term!

She looks happy but  I bet she's actually dying inside, like I was.
 I am home! It has been the longest term EVER. Hilary term actually ended on 15th of March but I didn't leave until the 31st of March as I stayed behind to work for college, for the annual alumni telethon. Those were probably the longest and loneliest sixteen days of my life and I am not being melodramatic. The job itself was so soul destroying and college is a totally different place without my friends and other students there. However, I made a lot of £££, got a bit of work done and learned a few lessons from the telethon and my second term at university:

1) I will never EVER work at a job that I hate. I was literally counting down the seconds until my shift ended.

2) I am good at talking to people and charming them over the phone to donate. So good, in fact, that I was rewarded with wine and chocolate eggs by my supervisors. It made me really start to hate myself, though. Too much hustlin' for me.

3) One of the alumni that I spoke to suggested a very interesting way of analysing the texts that I study; he told me that as a Christian, I should try examining my texts from a Christian perspective, as that will help me relate to the texts more and feel more about them. I have never considered that before but from now on, I will definitely be considering what a Christian would say about Baudelaire, Beauvoir and Laclos!

4) My college has always been the lovely, friendly and welcoming environment that I know it to be today, so yayy for Pembroke!

5) Never settle for second best: if your current friends don't treat you like you deserve and if there is an imbalance in your relationship, put yourself out there and find better ones. Trust me, they're out there and I definitely found some this term.

6) I learned how to stop being a doormat with the help of my family and great friends. If you feel that something is wrong, don't just take it. Speak now and stick up for yourself.

7) Boys are very very confusing creatures and I am still very confused about this whole 'love' thing. I mean, what even is love?

8) I'm still going out completely sober and having a lot of fun! Being 'the Mother' of the group is not as tedious as some think it is. As lame as it sounds, I love being there for my friends.

9) Access is still a big deal for me. A really big deal.

Now, to enjoy being home! I look forward to spending entire days in my PJs and just lazing about. LOL JK, I have collections to revise for and a whole lot of reading to do. But I'd rather not think about that right now...

No comments:

Post a Comment