Sunday 16 September 2012

Racism hurts

  On my way to work the other day, I had a bit of a 'mare. I was listening to music through my headphones when suddenly, a drunk man came out of an alleyway and stood right in front of me. He then proceeded to call me a 'f*cking black c*nt' as well as many other colourful things. I was petrified because there was nobody close by and I thought he was going to attack me. He circled me for a few seconds, called me the derogatory term for 'coward' repeatedly, a word that rhymes with 'wussy'.

 Thankfully, I was right outside my workplace so I quickly ran in. I was so scared and shaken that I had to go to the toilets to calm myself. I've never personally encountered such racism and it was a harrowing experience. I should have defended myself instead of just running away. I should have done something...anything!

 I think back to the 1960s and the prejudice that African Americans faced. I also think back to the Civil Rights Movement and peaceful protest. If I had retaliated and sworn back, then I would have been no better than him. I can't even say that I'll never experience something like that again because the world is full of mean people. Racism hurts but I thank God that I didn't get hurt. Well, at least not physically.

No comments:

Post a Comment