Thursday 18 September 2014

Dead Poet's Society

   A few weeks ago, the world lost a phenomenal actor. I was so taken aback, shocked and upset when I heard the news of Robin Williams' death. Strangely, before the awful news broke, I'd spent most of the summer re-familiarising myself with my favourite films of his such as 'Hook', 'Night at the Museum', 'Jumanji' and 'Aladdin' to name a few, films that were huge parts of my childhood. To honour him, I decided to watch a film of his that I'd never seen before, 'Dead Poet's Society', a film that I'd heard a lot about in the past but had never gotten round to watching.

  'Dead Poet's Society' shows a more subdued side to Robin Williams as Mr Keating, an inspirational English teacher in a 1950s all boys American Prep school, who uses somewhat unconventional methods to teach his students valuable life lessons. The film really really touched and moved me; I would loosely describe it as a kind of American 'History Boys' but it is still very different from that classic. Although Williams isn't as wacky in this film as we're used to seeing him, there are still bursts of that comedic genius that we know and love. For example, there's a scene where he reads Shakespeare as John Wayne and Marlon Brando and his different voices are hilarious and spot on. Here are a few lessons that I learned from the film:

1) Carpe Diem- Seize the day! As cheesy as it sounds, don't be afraid to break the mould and make the most of the big world out there.

2) Live your life for you- don't feel pressured into making life-changing decisions that you don't choose for yourself. If I'd listened to people in the past instead of doing what I want to do, I'd probably be studying Economics or Engineering right now. Don't get me wrong, those are great degrees but they're not for me.

3) Teachers can really make a difference in the lives of their students. So, they should never be underestimated or looked down on and I think I'll probably teach at some point in my life.

4) Finally, if you're feeling sad or depressed, please seek help. Don't be afraid to share your real feelings and it is never too late for you to get help and support. You're not alone.
(If you or someone that you know needs help or is going through a tough time, call the Samaritans on 08457 90 90 90 (UK).

Rest in peace, Mr Williams, and thank you so much for all the laughs.

No comments:

Post a Comment