Friday 29 March 2013

I Give It a Year

   This isn't a book post but this film infuriated me so much and I need to let out my anger. I Give It a Year is a British comedy film that came out this year. As it was penned and directed by the same guy that wrote 'Borat' with the producers of 'Love Actually' and 'Bridget Jones' Diary', I was really looking forward to it- I expected it to be a good laugh.

  The film stars Rose Byrne (Bridesmaids) and Rafe Spall as Nat and Josh, a couple who get married after only seven months of knowing each other and most of their friends and family believe that they won't last, hence the film's title. I expected the film to be a cute rom-com, showing the trials and tribulations of the first year of marriage and how these can be overcome. I'll admit that 99% of it was funny, even with some of the overly crude jokes and gags that were not needed. It was the final 1% that really irked and brought down the film for me. I don't want to ruin it, but let's just say that my expectations were false and the film's title is more important than expected.

  I am a firm believer in the importance and sanctity of marriage and this film completely spits on that and it also has a total lack of respect for one of the most significant parts of human relationships. The film does not give out a good message to today's generation. It takes WORK for a marriage to be successful; you can't just decide to give up when it gets difficult and it pains me that marriage is not that respected nowadays (Kim Kardashian and Kris Humphries anyone?). Marriage is not something that a person should just decide on a whim! It takes careful consideration and you have to be completely sure of the person. This links back to a post I did before on dating  and how I am personally very careful when it comes to relationships.

  Rant over. I'm sure other people enjoyed this film but I certainly did not. I give it a 2/10.

No comments:

Post a Comment