Thursday 8 November 2012

Life is a wonderful thing- 'The Incident'

Guess who's back, back, back....
  Once again, I apologise for my lack of consistency with posts. Oh the joys of Year 13, A Levels and a part-time job!

 It was half-term last week and whilst most of my peers were chillin' and de-stressing, I spent the whole week (1pm- 9.30pm to be exact) volunteering as stage management for a production of Watership Down at my local theatre. (Side note: the play was amazing as the young cast were very talented. It's a beautiful story that I'll write about sometime!) Although quite stressful at times, it was a very fun experience and I learned a lot as I had participated in multiple performances in the past but I'd never done backstage work before.

 On Friday, about an hour before the show opened, I had a bit of an 'incident.' Somehow, I managed to whack my head quite hard against a wall, which resulted in a massive bump on my forehead. It was HUGE.

 It was also quite embarrassing as I'd spent all week trying to build a stern persona for myself amongst the young cast and professional tech dudes and all this was lost. Everyone seemed to find it hilarious and I was known as 'Lumpy' for the rest of the weekend. It is also always embarrassing to fill out an accident form when the reason for the accident is 'hit head on wall.'

  On a serious note, after my incident, A&E was a possibility as I was feeling quite dizzy and tired, which are concussion symptoms. As melodramatic as it might sound, I became quite panicked and I genuinely thought I was going to die thanks to negative inputs from silly people.

  In the end, everything turned out fine; I was checked out by an experienced nurse at the theatre who said that all I needed was a good night's sleep and some painkillers.

  I hope none of you never have to experience the horrible feeling of fearing that you'll not wake up the next morning. I went a bit over the top, setting alarms for every hour to check that I was still 'alive' and I even had my uncle check in on me! My fears were quite silly; Jesus said that we were healed by His stripes and God is good so He'll never let His children die.

 I woke up the next morning thanking God for the gift of life and I'll never ever take it for granted ever again.

Note to self: watch out for walls.

I'll be reviewing Kody Keplinger's 'The DUFF' soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment