Sunday 24 August 2014

Change

  I'm not a big fan of change. I'm the kind of person who will find a restaurant, pick one thing from the menu that I like, then get that same thing every single time that I go to the restaurant because I am wary of 'trying something new' (Pizza Express- dough balls and lasagne, Wagamama's- Yaki Soba etc). I'm also the kind of person who keeps things like old clothes and school books for years because I can't bear to part with them, even though I don't need them any more. My sister is witness to the fact that I'm a nightmare to share a room with because I clutter the place up with old junk that I should have binned years before. Yes, I know it's weird. If I know it's weird, then why do I do it, you ask?

  Well, for me, I guess there's something somewhat intimidating about the idea of change. It has connotations of making or becoming something different and letting go of something in order to take on something else. The scary part of this is that people like me often feel like they've only just adjusted to or gotten used to a certain situation when it is time for that situation to change. Also, in order to change, it is sometimes important to let go of a part of yourself and elements of the past. This too can be scary because established routines are comforting and familiar whereas the unknown is exactly what it says on the tin.

  However, change is not always all doom and gloom with no light at the end of the tunnel. With change, bigger and better things can come. In addition, one will not fully embrace these things if one keeps looking back and clinging to the past, instead of looking ahead. Furthermore, one can be changed for good (cue music from Wicked....).

  Peter Capaldi's first episode as the new Doctor in Doctor Who inspired this post. As someone who isn't too fond of change, I didn't like it when Matt Smith became the Doctor (I even boycotted his first episodes as I was fiercely loyal to David Tennant lol). Eventually, he grew on me and I liked him a lot so I was super gutted when he left last Christmas. I like to think that nineteen year old Kenny is now miles way mature fourteen year old Kenny. So this time, I didn't boycott the new Doctor and I actually really enjoyed the episode. From it, I learned that although change is scary and you might feel like you're becoming a completely different person, it'll be okay because deep down, you're still yourself.

  So, if a big change is on the horizon for you, like heading off to university for the first time or moving house, remember this piece of advice from someone who's been though a lot of change in her life: everything works out in the end and you'll be fine. I may not be a big fan of change but getting used to it will get easier and with time, I'll get better at it.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment